Interested in gaining real-world experience while working to protect Maine lakes?
Summer interns will work closely with Lake Stewards of Maine (LSM) staff and volunteers. Learning opportunities abound, and vary from day to day. All interns are encouraged to participate in, and later assist with, LSM volunteer training workshops. Workshops cover a variety of topics including water quality monitoring, screening waterbodies for invasive aquatic plants, volunteer leadership, and more.
Examples of some intern projects:
LSM Center for Citizen Lake Science
• Support LSM staff with office tasks
• Organize and catalog research materials
• Assist visitors and prepare outreach materials
LSM Annual Lake Monitoring Conference
• Support LSM staff with event preparations
• Assist with event set-up and tear-down
• Help facilitate volunteer recognition ceremony
• Prepare workshop materials and assist with planning and operation
• Assist in conducting volunteer training workshops
• Collect, process and catalog live plant specimens
Interns should be prepared to assist the permanent staff with routine administrative tasks, such as data entry and the preparation of informational materials for volunteers. Careful attention to detail and accuracy is absolutely essential! Interns will be paid $11 hourly, and will need to be available on several weekends and evenings throughout the summer. Interns are responsible for their own housing and transportation, and should have a clean, valid driver’s license. Position is based in Auburn, Maine.
How to apply: Contact the LSM with a formal letter of interest, your resume, information concerning your availability, and how you learned of the LSM. If you apply via email with attachments, please include your name in the file name of your documents (example: JSmithResume.pdf). Be prepared to provide three references. No phone calls, please.
Jonnie Maloney, Program Coordinator
Lake Stewards of Maine, 24 Maple Hill Road, Auburn, ME 04210